This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Virgin Money Current Account
Why we like it: 3.0% AER fixed interest on balances up to £2,500. No fees on arranged overdrafts up to £250. UK & Europe Breakdown Cover, Worldwide family travel insurance. Free mobile banking app, text alerts and secure online banking. £13 monthly account fee
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Virgin Money Current Account
Virgin currently only offer the Essential Current Account but are planning to add more options shortly. At the moment you can register your interest on their website for updates about any new accounts that they open.
The Essential Current Account is a great basic account which offers:
- Free withdrawals at almost all high street cash machines.
- Management of your account at Virgin Money Stores and any Post Office.
- The option to earn 0.75% Gross1/AER2 (variable) interest on the balance in your account, up to a maximum balance of £100,000. Interest is paid monthly.
- Fair and simple charges.
- Online and telephone banking.
- No overdraft facility, to help you stay in control of your money.
Virgin is a big name internationally and as such they offer a number of benefits, which help if you travel internationally regularly.
Virgin Money customers are provided with free exclusive use of the Virgin Lounges which offer:
- Wi-Fi and use of iPads.
- There is TV available all day to keep up with the latest news, they also provide the day’s newspapers and a selection of magazines.
- You’re welcome to bring a friend or family member in with you.
- Free tea, coffee and a selection of other hot and cold drinks are always available to Lounge members; plus fruit and snacks are on offer throughout the day.
- Full and anytime use of the customer toilets and baby changing facilities.
- Areas to login and do your online banking or service your Virgin Money products.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- As well as these services the lounges can be used for local communities to benefit. If you’re looking for a space to hold a community event or meeting for free, then you can get in touch with your nearest Virgin Money Lounge.
- There are also special events for Lounge members.
Exclusive Customer Discounts:
Every current account customer can take advantage of the range of exclusive Virgin products, discounts and more which helps you make more of your money. Some current examples include:
- 5% off Virgin Holiday, Cruise and Worldwide Journey packages
- 10% off selected advance fares on Virgin Trains
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Travel Insurance
- Extra discounts on selected BCP car park deals
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money International Money Transfers
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Home Insurance
- Enjoy 1 free month (worth up to £23) of Virgin Pure
- £50 cashback on Virgin Personal Pension
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Pet Insurance
- £50 cashback on Virgin Money Stocks & Shares ISA
Interest is paid monthly on this account and added to your account on the 27th of each month or the next business day if the 27th is not a business day.
This is a great account for people who travel often and more so if you often use Virgin holiday packages and trains. With some interest paid and the potential savings from rewards, as long as you do not need an overdraft facility.