This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Virgin Money Current Account
Why we like it: No minimum monthly funding or monthly fee to maintain the account. Earn up to 15% cashback with Retailer Offers. Stress-free account switching in 7 days with the Current Account Switch Service. £300 ATM withdrawal per day, Arranged Overdraft facility (subject to status). Online and Mobile Banking with text and email alerts. Must be 18 or older and live in the UK permanently. 39.94% EAR overdraft charge. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: Free current account. Pays 0.05% AER interest on balances up to £85,000. Get set up in minutes. Send money abroad: Fast and secure money transfers to bank accounts in 38 countries worldwide. No fees when you pay with your card abroad or withdraw money. Get a spotlight on your spending: See what you’ve spent instantly with real-time payment notifications. 3 month interest holiday on the first £500 of an arranged overdraft. Best British Bank and Best Current Account in 2020 at the British Bank Awards. Awarded 5 stars by Defaqto. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: A bank account that can build credit history. No credit check during sign up. Apply straight from your mobile. Instant online decision. Get your Contactless Debit Mastercard within 3-5 working days. Add Creditbuilder onto your account and it could help build your credit rating at no extra cost. Deposit cash into your account at any Post Office UK branch. Money is available in your account immediately. Manage your account 24/7 from any device with the banking app - get real time balance information, statements, add payees send payments and apply for extras. Automatic payment alerts. UK based Customer Services Team. Your money is protected up to £85,000 by the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme)
Why we like it: Earn 0.30% AER (variable) interest on balances up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% cashback on household bills - 1% on council tax bills, Mobile and home phone bills, broadband and paid-for TV packages, and Santander monthly mortgage payments. 2% on Gas and electricity bills, Santander Home Insurance premiums and Santander Life Insurance premiums, and 3% on water bills. Monthly fee of £4. Cashback capped at £5 for each cashback tier each month. Must pay in £500 pm. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: Can be opened by or on behalf of any child up to the age of 18. Debit or cash card available for those aged between 13 and 18. Monthly interest. No monthly fee. For children under age 13, the account must be opened in trust and managed by an adult (trustee). If you’re aged between 13 and 18 years old and live permanently in the UK you can apply online by telephone or in branch. No overdraft facility. 1% interest on the entire balance once the balance is £100, 2.00% AER/1.98% gross (variable) on the entire balance once the balance is £1,500, 3.00% AER/2.96% gross (variable) on the entire balance once the balance is £1,500 or over (up to a maximum of £2,000). Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Virgin Money Current Account
Virgin currently only offer the Essential Current Account but are planning to add more options shortly. At the moment you can register your interest on their website for updates about any new accounts that they open.
The Essential Current Account is a great basic account which offers:
- Free withdrawals at almost all high street cash machines.
- Management of your account at Virgin Money Stores and any Post Office.
- The option to earn 0.75% Gross1/AER2 (variable) interest on the balance in your account, up to a maximum balance of £100,000. Interest is paid monthly.
- Fair and simple charges.
- Online and telephone banking.
- No overdraft facility, to help you stay in control of your money.
Virgin is a big name internationally and as such they offer a number of benefits, which help if you travel internationally regularly.
Virgin Money customers are provided with free exclusive use of the Virgin Lounges which offer:
- Wi-Fi and use of iPads.
- There is TV available all day to keep up with the latest news, they also provide the day’s newspapers and a selection of magazines.
- You’re welcome to bring a friend or family member in with you.
- Free tea, coffee and a selection of other hot and cold drinks are always available to Lounge members; plus fruit and snacks are on offer throughout the day.
- Full and anytime use of the customer toilets and baby changing facilities.
- Areas to login and do your online banking or service your Virgin Money products.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- As well as these services the lounges can be used for local communities to benefit. If you’re looking for a space to hold a community event or meeting for free, then you can get in touch with your nearest Virgin Money Lounge.
- There are also special events for Lounge members.
Exclusive Customer Discounts:
Every current account customer can take advantage of the range of exclusive Virgin products, discounts and more which helps you make more of your money. Some current examples include:
- 5% off Virgin Holiday, Cruise and Worldwide Journey packages
- 10% off selected advance fares on Virgin Trains
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Travel Insurance
- Extra discounts on selected BCP car park deals
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money International Money Transfers
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Home Insurance
- Enjoy 1 free month (worth up to £23) of Virgin Pure
- £50 cashback on Virgin Personal Pension
- £25 cashback on Virgin Money Pet Insurance
- £50 cashback on Virgin Money Stocks & Shares ISA
Interest is paid monthly on this account and added to your account on the 27th of each month or the next business day if the 27th is not a business day.
This is a great account for people who travel often and more so if you often use Virgin holiday packages and trains. With some interest paid and the potential savings from rewards, as long as you do not need an overdraft facility.