This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Tesco Current Account
Why we like it: 3.0% AER fixed interest on balances up to £2,500. No fees on arranged overdrafts up to £250. UK & Europe Breakdown Cover, Worldwide family travel insurance. Free mobile banking app, text alerts and secure online banking. £13 monthly account fee
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Tesco Current Account
Tesco offer some great rewards with their current account, particularly if you regularly shop in their stores. This is because your debit card also serves as your Tesco Clubcard and you earn 5 points for every £4 spent in Tesco and 1 point for every £8 everywhere else. You can also collect Clubcard points on fuel.
Another bonus of the current account is that they do not charge monthly fees for the account or for arranging an overdraft. This is a big saver on a lot of other current accounts especially as Tesco also pays 3% interest on amounts up to £3000.
Tesco offer, as standard:
- An easy way to manage your money anywhere with a mobile app and online banking
- Customer service with a UK based team who are available to talk 24/7
- An opportunity to earn credit interest with no monthly fee
- Free text and email alerts to avoid any fees and charges
- Overdraft control to avoid slipping in to an unarranged overdraft
- The app also includes a payment calendar so you can easily keep track of payments going in and out
- A contactless card for quick purchases up to £30
- Joint account facilities available as well as multiple current accounts in your name
- An opportunity to deposit and withdraw money at over 300 Tesco stores in the UK
- Make payments internationally and use your card abroad exactly like at home
- Replacement of lost or damaged debit cards. The first two in a year are free and £10 thereafter.
They were also the 2015 winner of the Moneynet award for the ‘Best All Round Current Account’.
Your Clubcard voucher rewards:
After earning your points, every 3 months, your Clubcard points will be turned into vouchers. You will then be able to spend the vouchers at tesco.com, in store or on Tesco Fuel. You can also increase the value of the vouchers by boosting them with one of their Boost partners, UK retailers with whom Tesco have a partnership.
Useful to Know
Arranged overdrafts are charged interest at 18.90% EAR. You’ll be able to borrow up to an approved limit without any additional fees, you’ll just pay daily interest on the amount you’ve used.
If you fall in to an unarranged overdraft then you are charged fees and interest on the extra amount. Their Overdraft Control setting on your account, which allows you to decide whether a payment is made when you don't have enough money in your account to cover it, should help you avoid charges.
Overall this is a great account where you can earn some great rewards with the Clubcard scheme providing you take advantage of shopping in their stores. It’s also one of the few basic current accounts that do pay interest. The interest rate is high at 3.00% AER/2.96% Gross (variable) for balances up to £3,000. The interest is paid monthly.