This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Santander 123 Current Account
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Santander 1|2|3 Current Account
The Santander 1|2|3 wins for those with savings above £10,000 - or will once the others banks' rate cuts have come into effect. Currently, you can get 1.5% on balances from £3,000 to £20,000.
You are also able to have two accounts in your name, but one must be joint – meaning couples can save £60,000 between them.
This account does have a £5/month fee, which is automatically taken from the account each month but for most users that's more than covered by the 3% cashback this account gives on utility bills paid by Direct Debit from the account. Cashback is paid directly in to your account.
The cashback you can receive on your household bills includes:
- 1% cashback on water and council tax bills and on your Santander monthly mortgage payments (up to a maximum of £1,000)
- 2% cashback on gas bills and electricity bills.
- 3% cashback on mobile, home phone, broadband and paid-for TV packages
As extra incentive, Santander offer a four month fee-free arranged overdraft when you switch and if you use their Switch Service to move your current account then you will receive a Defaqto 5 star rated service.
As standard, Santander offer:
- Easy to manage accounts, whenever, wherever with online and mobile banking.
- If your card is contactless enabled you can make quick and easy purchases of up to £30 whenever you see the contactless symbol.
- Opening a 1|2|3 Current Account means you'll be part of 1|2|3 World, with access to a range of benefits, preferential rates and special deals.
- A £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee (shared with Cahoot).
Santander offer a high rate of customer service and the range of benefits would be highly attractive to anyone considering this account.
Useful Information to Know
- You'll get 1.5% on the entire balance up to £20,000.
- Santander only pays interest & cashback in months you've paid in £500+, had two 'active' (so not disused) Direct Debits, and paid your monthly fee. Watch out, it counts a month from the anniversary of the account opening, not a calendar month.
- You can save more than £20,000 in the account, but won't earn interest on anything over £20,000.
- Household bills don’t include TV licence, maintenance contracts (e.g. boiler repair cover), other insurance contracts, commercial use or commercial mortgages.
Overall this account is best for those with a higher amount of savings and those who are considering a cash Isa might look to this account instead. However, if you do not have a lot of savings then the cashback scheme makes it a very attractive option for anyone who is able to pay in the £500/month minimum and meet the two Direct Debit/month minimum.
Find out more... Santander 123 Account »