This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Lloyds Current Account
Why we like it: 5.00% interest for 12 months on balances up to £2,500 for the first year. You must pay in £1,000 or more each month to receive interest (excluding transfers from any Nationwide account held by you or anyone else). 12 month fee-free arranged overdraft available. No monthly fee. Must be aged 18 or older.
Why we like it: 3.0% AER fixed interest on balances up to £2,500. No fees on arranged overdrafts up to £250. UK & Europe Breakdown Cover, Worldwide family travel insurance. Free mobile banking app, text alerts and secure online banking. £13 monthly account fee
Why we like it: Earn 1.50% AER (variable) interest on balances up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% CASHBACK on various household bills. Monthly fee of £5. Must pay in £500 pm.
Why we like it: Free gift worth up to £150 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. Satisfaction guarantee - £100 if you leave within 6 months
Why we like it: Everyday current account. 3 months interest-free overdraft and no monthly account fee
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Lloyds Current Account
Lloyds offer a selection of current accounts with varying benefits, including:
- Classic Account
- Club Lloyds
- Silver Account
- Platinum Account
As long as you stay in credit then you can avoid monthly charges with the Classic Account.
Lloyds Bank offer, as standard:
- Internet Banking, Telephone Banking, Mobile Banking, in branch.
- Cash withdrawals of up to £500 a day from any Lloyds Bank Cashpoint or other cash machines.
- Planned overdrafts where a certain amount is free and interest free depending on your account level.
- To help prevent returned item fees and heading in to an unplanned overdraft, Lloyds offer a stay in control option. For £10 a month, Control helps you keep on top of your finances.
- Free text alerts, can also help you keep track of your finances. You can also access balance and limit alerts that let you know when your balance is above or below a level set by you. This is great for budgeting and avoiding charges.
The current accounts, subject to application, can provide a planned overdraft of £1,200 with £25 fee free and then charged at 19.89pc for the remainder of your overdraft. There is also a £6 monthly usage fee.
This is a great buffer for any unforeseen spending, helping you to avoid bank charges.
However, if you upgrade to Club Lloyds then you can expect a 0pc interest rate on the first £100
The monthly overdraft usage fee is also £6; this combined with the £5 a month account fee (wavered if you pay £1500 or more in to the account every month) could add up quickly.
Lloyds offer a very good cashback scheme. You are able to claim 15% cashback using Everyday Offers at the type of places you often shop. Using the online banking system to select the offers you are most likely to use, you can then spend and make some great savings.
As a current account holder, you can also register for Save the Change which makes saving easy. Transactions made with your debit card will be rounded up to the nearest pound. The difference is then transferred to your Lloyds Bank savings account. These small amounts do add up and make it an easy way to save while you spend.
Currently Lloyds do not pay interest on the balance in Classic Accounts and the only way to incur interest on your money is by signing up for their Club Lloyds account.
The Club Lloyds account pays 2% AER variable on £4,000 - £5,000.
Useful to Know:
- You must pay £1500 pound in to the Club Lloyds account every month. This makes it one of the more expensive options. There's a £3 fee each time you miss a month's pay-in.
- To get the interest, two or more Direct Debits are required to leave the account each month.
- Lloyds Bank shares its £75,000 savings safety guarantee with Cheltenham & Gloucester.