This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
HSBC Current Account
Why we like it: Discounts available when you shop at certain major high street stores and supermarkets, as well as some holidays, cinema, concert tickets and events. All year round family travel insurance, UK breakdown cover, mobile phone and gadget insurance
Why we like it: All year round travel insurance , UK breakdown cover, mobile phone and gadget insurance, and certain discounts available to account holders for some major stores and supermarkets, cinema tickets, holidays, events and concerts.
Why we like it: INNOVATIVE NEW BANKING SERVICE powered by Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks. Get your current account and instant access savings account working together. Earn 0.50% AER on ALL instant access credit balances and 0.25% AER on current account balances up to £2,000. Fee free
Why we like it: BEST SELLING CASHBACK CURRENT ACCOUNT. Earn 3.00% AER (variable) interest on balances from £3,000 up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% CASHBACK on various household bills. Monthly fee of £5. Must pay in £500 pm.
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
HSBC Current Account review
HSBC offer a range of current accounts. The Basic Bank Account is a very simple account which covers your basic banking needs.
To keep things simple, this account does not offer a cheque book, overdraft or other credit facilities. It also doesn’t pay any interest on your balance.
HSBC current account features
With a HSBC current account you can benefit from:
- A Visa debit card
- Cash withdrawals of up to £300 per day
- Creating Standing Orders and Direct Debits plus making payments to friends and family
- 24/7 telephone and internet banking
- Up to £100 cashback at outlets nationwide when you pay with your debit card
- Use your Debit Card to withdraw local currency at cash machines worldwide and pay for goods and services worldwide wherever you see the VISA logo
If you are looking for your account to work a bit harder then HSBC’s Advance or Premier accounts could be for you.
HSBC are currently offering the following rewards:
- Open and switch to one of these accounts and you will get £150
- Stay for a year and get a further £50 bonus
- Get a 0%, fee-free overdraft for six months when you open the account
To qualify for this account you must make a minimum monthly pay-in of £1,750 a month. This is higher than many current accounts, so consider whether you will be able to meet this before deciding to switch.
Additional incentives with HSBC current accounts
- A minimum overdraft offer of £1000 at account opening
- Reduced booking fees on HSBC's Standard Mortgage range
- You will be eligible for HSBC's 5% regular savings account
The switch bonus is also available if you are switching to HSBC's Premier Account. But you will need to either pay your income into it and have £50,000 of savings/investments with HSBC or have an income of £100,000+ a year, plus another qualifying product with HSBC.
Other Useful Information
- To get the switching bonus you need to apply for the account by 29th March 2017
- You must open the account, then use HSBC's Current Account Switch Service to switch, including at least two direct debits or standing orders, within 30 days
- The bonus is paid within 70 days of opening the Advance Account – provided you have met the switching criteria in the bullet above
- You cannot get the bonus if switching from another HSBC account, or if you have had a current account with it in the past twelve months
- To get the £50 extra bonus, you need to register for mobile or online banking within 60 days of account opening and pay in £1,750 per month for at least nine of the first 12 months. The bonus will be sent within 30 days of your first anniversary of account opening.
- HSBC shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with First Direct, so if you hold more than £75,000 across the two banks the excess will not be protected
Overall HSBC offers a great basic bank account if you just want a functioning account with no complications. Meanwhile, their Advanced and Premier accounts provide some great rewards and incentives for those who are able to meet the monthly requirements.