This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
HSBC Current Account
Why we like it: Earn 0.60% AER (variable) interest on balances up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% CASHBACK on various household bills. Monthly fee of £5. Cashback capped at £5 for each cashback tier each month. Must pay in £500 pm.
HSBC Current Account review
HSBC offer a range of current accounts. The Basic Bank Account is a very simple account which covers your basic banking needs.
To keep things simple, this account does not offer a cheque book, overdraft or other credit facilities. It also doesn’t pay any interest on your balance.
HSBC current account features
With a HSBC current account you can benefit from:
- A Visa debit card
- Cash withdrawals of up to £300 per day
- Creating Standing Orders and Direct Debits plus making payments to friends and family
- 24/7 telephone and internet banking
- Up to £100 cashback at outlets nationwide when you pay with your debit card
- Use your debit card to withdraw local currency at cash machines worldwide and pay for goods and services wherever you see the VISA logo
If you are looking for your account to work a bit harder then HSBC’s Advance or Premier accounts could be for you.
HSBC are currently offering the following rewards:
- Open and switch to one of these accounts and you will get £150
- Stay for a year and get a further £50 bonus
- Get a 0%, fee-free overdraft for six months when you open the account
To qualify for this account you must make a minimum monthly pay-in of £1,750 a month. This is higher than many current accounts, so consider whether you will be able to meet this before deciding to switch.
Additional incentives with HSBC current accounts
- A minimum overdraft offer of £1000 at account opening
- Reduced booking fees on HSBC's Standard Mortgage range
- You will be eligible for HSBC's 5% regular savings account
The switch bonus is also available if you are switching to HSBC's Premier Account. But you will need to either pay your income into it and have £50,000 of savings/investments with HSBC or have an income of £100,000+ a year, plus another qualifying product with HSBC.
Other Useful Information
- You must open the account, then use HSBC's Current Account Switch Service to switch, including at least two Direct Debits or standing orders, within 30 days
- The bonus is paid within 70 days of opening the Advance Account – provided you have met the switching criteria in the bullet above
- You cannot get the bonus if switching from another HSBC account, or if you have had a current account with it in the past twelve months
- To get the £50 extra bonus, you need to register for mobile or online banking within 60 days of account opening and pay in £1,750 per month for at least nine of the first 12 months. The bonus will be sent within 30 days of your first anniversary of account opening.
- HSBC shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with First Direct, so if you hold more than £75,000 across the two banks the excess will not be protected
Overall HSBC offers a great basic bank account if you just want a functioning account with no complications. Meanwhile, their Advanced and Premier accounts provide some great rewards and incentives for those who are able to meet the monthly requirements.