This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Halifax Current Account
Why we like it: 3.0% AER fixed interest on balances up to £2,500. No fees on arranged overdrafts up to £250. UK & Europe Breakdown Cover, Worldwide family travel insurance. Free mobile banking app, text alerts and secure online banking. £13 monthly account fee
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Compare Halifax Current Accounts
Halifax Current Accounts have some great features. They offer a £100 switching bonus (subject to conditions) paid into your account before your switch is complete. Most accounts with cash incentives will make you wait up to a few months before paying the money in to your account.
There is also the bonus of monthly rewards if you qualify for their Reward Current Account. You can also earn as you spend with their cashback extras once you have activated your offers in Online and Mobile Banking.
Halifax Provide, as standard:
- Easy access to your account with 24 hour Online, Mobile and Telephone Banking. And access to any of our branches.
- A VISA debit card with contactless payments.
- £10 overdraft buffer, so you won’t get any daily overdraft fees if you are in debit by £10 or less.
- Access to Control - For £10 a month, you can add this feature to help you by stopping your account from going into an unplanned overdraft.
If you are able to pay £750 or more in to your account, pay out at least two different Direct Debits and stay in credit each month, you could earn £5 each month with their Reward Current Account.
Also, if in any month you miss out on the £3 reward, you can still have it in future months too, when you are able to meet the qualifying requirements.
Combine this option with the Switch Reward and you could earn £136 in a year. This is one of the few accounts that pay both a switching bonus and an ongoing reward.
They also offer the Ultimate Reward Current Account at £15 a month which can be lowered to £10 if you meet certain requirements which include:
- Paying in £750 or more every month
- Having two Direct Debits going out of the account
- Not going overdrawn during the month
For this extra fee you gain access to several insurance benefits such as: worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, home emergency cover, and AA breakdown cover. A great way to save if you currently take out these policies.
Other Useful Information
- You won't be able to get the bonus if you have received any incentive for switching to Halifax since January 2012, or if you are switching from a Bank of Scotland account.
- Halifax shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with the rest of the HBOS group, so keep this in mind if you intend to hold more than £75,000 across the group
- To qualify for the £100 switching offer you must use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ and meet the following conditions:
- Use the 'Current Account Switch Service' to switch into a new or existing, Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (£15 monthly fee) or Halifax Current Account
- Use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ to transfer all the active credits and debits from the bank account that you hold with another bank and close this account. You'll get the bonus within three working days once your switch has completed.
While the £10 overdraft buffer and Access to Control will help stop any unwanted bank charges, the fees for the Halifax Current Account can quickly add up.
The fees at the moment are:
- A planned overdraft up to and including £1,999.99 - £1 a day
- A planned overdraft of between £2,000 and £2,999.99 - £2 a day
- A planned overdraft of £3,000 and over - £3 a day
- An unplanned overdraft - £5 a day or £1 a day with Control