This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Halifax Current Account
Why we like it: No minimum monthly funding or monthly fee to maintain the account. Earn up to 15% cashback with Retailer Offers. Stress-free account switching in 7 days with the Current Account Switch Service. £300 ATM withdrawal per day, Arranged Overdraft facility (subject to status). Online and Mobile Banking with text and email alerts. Must be 18 or older and live in the UK permanently. 39.94% EAR overdraft charge. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: Free current account. Pays 0.05% AER interest on balances up to £85,000. Get set up in minutes. Send money abroad: Fast and secure money transfers to bank accounts in 38 countries worldwide. No fees when you pay with your card abroad or withdraw money. Get a spotlight on your spending: See what you’ve spent instantly with real-time payment notifications. 3 month interest holiday on the first £500 of an arranged overdraft. Best British Bank and Best Current Account in 2020 at the British Bank Awards. Awarded 5 stars by Defaqto. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: A bank account that can build credit history. No credit check during sign up. Apply straight from your mobile. Instant online decision. Get your Contactless Debit Mastercard within 3-5 working days. Add Creditbuilder onto your account and it could help build your credit rating at no extra cost. Deposit cash into your account at any Post Office UK branch. Money is available in your account immediately. Manage your account 24/7 from any device with the banking app - get real time balance information, statements, add payees send payments and apply for extras. Automatic payment alerts. UK based Customer Services Team. Your money is protected up to £85,000 by the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme)
Why we like it: Earn 0.30% AER (variable) interest on balances up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% cashback on household bills - 1% on council tax bills, Mobile and home phone bills, broadband and paid-for TV packages, and Santander monthly mortgage payments. 2% on Gas and electricity bills, Santander Home Insurance premiums and Santander Life Insurance premiums, and 3% on water bills. Monthly fee of £4. Cashback capped at £5 for each cashback tier each month. Must pay in £500 pm. Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Why we like it: Can be opened by or on behalf of any child up to the age of 18. Debit or cash card available for those aged between 13 and 18. Monthly interest. No monthly fee. For children under age 13, the account must be opened in trust and managed by an adult (trustee). If you’re aged between 13 and 18 years old and live permanently in the UK you can apply online by telephone or in branch. No overdraft facility. 1% interest on the entire balance once the balance is £100, 2.00% AER/1.98% gross (variable) on the entire balance once the balance is £1,500, 3.00% AER/2.96% gross (variable) on the entire balance once the balance is £1,500 or over (up to a maximum of £2,000). Bank is registered with the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so any money you keep will be fully protected, up to £85,000
Compare Halifax Current Accounts
Halifax Current Accounts have some great features. They offer a £100 switching bonus (subject to conditions) paid into your account before your switch is complete. Most accounts with cash incentives will make you wait up to a few months before paying the money in to your account.
There is also the bonus of monthly rewards if you qualify for their Reward Current Account. You can also earn as you spend with their cashback extras once you have activated your offers in Online and Mobile Banking.
Halifax Provide, as standard:
- Easy access to your account with 24 hour Online, Mobile and Telephone Banking. And access to any of our branches.
- A VISA debit card with contactless payments.
- £10 overdraft buffer, so you won’t get any daily overdraft fees if you are in debit by £10 or less.
- Access to Control - For £10 a month, you can add this feature to help you by stopping your account from going into an unplanned overdraft.
If you are able to pay £750 or more in to your account, pay out at least two different Direct Debits and stay in credit each month, you could earn £5 each month with their Reward Current Account.
Also, if in any month you miss out on the £3 reward, you can still have it in future months too, when you are able to meet the qualifying requirements.
Combine this option with the Switch Reward and you could earn £136 in a year. This is one of the few accounts that pay both a switching bonus and an ongoing reward.
They also offer the Ultimate Reward Current Account at £15 a month which can be lowered to £10 if you meet certain requirements which include:
- Paying in £750 or more every month
- Having two Direct Debits going out of the account
- Not going overdrawn during the month
For this extra fee you gain access to several insurance benefits such as: worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, home emergency cover, and AA breakdown cover. A great way to save if you currently take out these policies.
Other Useful Information
- You won't be able to get the bonus if you have received any incentive for switching to Halifax since January 2012, or if you are switching from a Bank of Scotland account.
- Halifax shares its £75,000 UK savings safety guarantee with the rest of the HBOS group, so keep this in mind if you intend to hold more than £75,000 across the group
- To qualify for the £100 switching offer you must use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ and meet the following conditions:
- Use the 'Current Account Switch Service' to switch into a new or existing, Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (£15 monthly fee) or Halifax Current Account
- Use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ to transfer all the active credits and debits from the bank account that you hold with another bank and close this account. You'll get the bonus within three working days once your switch has completed.
While the £10 overdraft buffer and Access to Control will help stop any unwanted bank charges, the fees for the Halifax Current Account can quickly add up.
The fees at the moment are:
- A planned overdraft up to and including £1,999.99 - £1 a day
- A planned overdraft of between £2,000 and £2,999.99 - £2 a day
- A planned overdraft of £3,000 and over - £3 a day
- An unplanned overdraft - £5 a day or £1 a day with Control