This comparison simply includes all savings accounts.
Childrens Current Accounts
Why we like it: Discounts available when you shop at certain major high street stores and supermarkets, as well as some holidays, cinema, concert tickets and events. All year round family travel insurance, UK breakdown cover, mobile phone and gadget insurance
Why we like it: All year round travel insurance , UK breakdown cover, mobile phone and gadget insurance, and certain discounts available to account holders for some major stores and supermarkets, cinema tickets, holidays, events and concerts.
Why we like it: INNOVATIVE NEW BANKING SERVICE powered by Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks. Get your current account and instant access savings account working together. Earn 0.50% AER on ALL instant access credit balances and 0.25% AER on current account balances up to £2,000. Fee free
Why we like it: BEST SELLING CASHBACK CURRENT ACCOUNT. Earn 3.00% AER (variable) interest on balances from £3,000 up to a maximum of £20,000. Up to 3% CASHBACK on various household bills. Monthly fee of £5. Must pay in £500 pm.
Why we like it: £100 for switching into account. £250 interest free overdraft. Free banking if paying over £1,000 per month. £100 if not satisfied after 6 months
Why we like it: Top 20% of Reward Customers earn on average £217 - You can earn Rewards on Direct Debits from your current account for: • Council tax • Gas, electricity and water supply • Home and mobile phone, TV package and broadband fees
Disclaimer: To apply for this account you must be aged 18 or over. UK resident. Not been declared bankrupt in last 6 years.
Why we like it: Earn rewards of up to £180 a year when you bank with Barclays - Get an annual loyalty reward of £84 plus £60 on your Barclays residential mortgage and £36 on your Barclays home and contents insurance. Start earning rewards with a monthly £3 fee based on £800 paid into your account and 2 direct debits paid out every month
Children's Current Accounts
With a range of high interest current accounts for children to choose from, it’s more important than ever to shop around for the best deal.
While children’s account do not benefit from switching rewards, there are certainly some attractive rates of interest to choose from which provide a great way for children to learn about managing money and watching it grow.
While most banks will offer an under-18 account, some offer specific accounts with great incentives for children and young people.
Here are a selection of the best current accounts for children:
Santander 123 Mini
The 123 Mini Current Account is designed to provide a safe environment to learn money management and take the first steps towards financial responsibility for those aged between 11 and 18.
Santander currently pays one of the highest rates of interest for children and pays it on balances of £300 up to a maximum of £2000.
Account holders also receive:
- 24/7 access to their account via Online, Mobile and Telephone Banking or in branch
- Free text and email alerts about their account.
- The choice of a cash card or a Visa debit card
Halifax ExpressCash and CardCash
Halifax offer two children’s accounts, ExpressCash (11-15) and CardCash (16-17 years). They offer the same perks but ExpressCash offers an extra tailored security and financial education program, available as part of the Online Banking experience (in association with Childnet and the Money Advice Service). This is a great tool to teach young children about savings, investments and the value of money.
They will also receive:
- A Visa Debit card (accepted worldwide wherever you see the Visa Debit sign)
- Access to Online Banking and Mobile Banking
- Access to thousands of cash machines
- Use cash machines to withdraw of up to £500 per day, mini statements, check your balance, pay your bills and top up your mobile.
- Credit interest on your account on any credit balance.
- Access to sending and receiving payments with Pay a Contact
The Barclay Bank account is for children aged 11-15 and only requires a deposit of £1 to open the account.
Children receive all the benefits of a current account, including:
- A debit card
- Access to online, Mobile and in branch banking
- Cash withdrawals of up to £500 a day.
However, this account has a lower rate of interest than some others on offer.
Lloyds Under 19s
Lloyds offer an account for ages 11-19 and offer a good rate of interest to its customers on balances up to £2,500 (paid quarterly).
- Easy access to your money
- Choose between a Lloyds Bank Visa debit card to withdraw cash and pay for things in shops and online, or a Cashpoint® card which is only for taking out money at cash machines.
- Competitive interest
- Manage your money scheme - Internet Banking, Telephone Banking, Mobile Banking, in-branch, and also get free Text Alerts.
This account pays currently pays the highest rate of interest after Santander and is ideal if your child is younger as their account serves children from 7-17. Although under 16s will need a parent or guardian with them. However, you only get the top rate on the first £3,000 in the account, so if your child saves a lot then it may be worth looking at other options.
Useful to Know
- While the child is under 11, the adult trustee's permission is needed to withdraw £50 or more.
- Once the child reaches 11, they get a MyAccount, which comes with a Visa debit card.
These current accounts are great options for young savers who also need access to a regular account which they are able to draw out of, make payment and receive wages in to.
Some of the higher rates of interest are actually better than many ISAs or savings accounts for children so it’s worth considering the current account as a great way to save for your child.